We aim to provide you with as much information as possible about the NDIS, Peer Networks in WA, FAQ’s, along with a Fact Sheet and Publications list that can help you navigate through the new world of the NDIS.

Frequently Asked Questions

We will continuously update this list of FAQs as new information becomes available. Feel free to check back regularly.

Where are there Peer Networks in my Area?

Please see our Peer Networks page.

What is a Peer Network?

Please see our Peer Networks page.

How do I find a registered service provider?

You can ask someone who is already a participant in NDIS. For example, join a local Peer Network as members are happy to share their experiences or you can join a Facebook site (include these). There is also a provider list on the NDIS website:

Who can help me prepare for my NDIS Plan?

You can be supported by your Peer Network or you can approach an organisation that will assist you to pre-plan at no cost. The Valued Lives Peer-to-Peer Network Project is one example of this kind of support. There are also some new booklets on the NDIS website:

What am I able to put in my NDIS Plan?

When you begin to pre-plan for the NDIS you will need to consider all aspects of who is involved in your life. These can be informal supports such as family and friends, your doctor, specialists, school, work place, therapists etc. Funded supports are things that the NDIS will put into your plan that are directly related to your disability and which are not provided by any other mainstream service. These support fall into different categories and need to meet the NDIS “reasonable and necessary” criteria.

What is the difference between transfer and transition?

Transfer refers to people who currently have a WA NDIS plan transferring to the national NDIS. No other state or territory has run parallel trials of a state administered and a NDIA administered model.

Transition refers to people who are currently receiving specialist disability support from the WA and Commonwealth Governments as well as new participants entering the NDIS as it is rolls out

The NDIA and WA Government are committed to ensuring the transfer and transition of individuals to the nationally-delivered NDIS is managed carefully and supports participants, families and carers, and providers.

When will I hear from NDIS about my transfer/transition to the NDIS?

The NDIS will call you and send you a letter. The roll out of the NDIS is currently behind schedule due to the large number of people entering the scheme. Roll Out details can be found on the NDIS website:

I’ve received a letter from the NDIS saying I need to prove my eligibility – do I have to do this?

This can depend on your personal circumstances. If you are transferring or transitioning your basic details will be provided to the NDIS by your current State funded body. If you are not yet in any system you will need to check your eligibility and will need proof.

Who can I take to my planning meeting?

You can take anyone you like to your planning meeting. It can be family, a friend, a Peer Network member, a therapist, support coordinator or a combination of these people.

Can I self-manage my plan?

You can self-manage some or all of your NDIS plan. If you want to hear from others who are already doing this, your local Peer Network can assist you or you can visit the following website:   The NDIS have also released a booklet on self-management:

What is Plan Management – Financial Administration?

This is support provided to a participant who wants to self-manage but without having to worry about the legal and legislative requirements of being an employer. Plan Management is through a registered provider who will possess bookkeeping/accounting skills and have systems in place for processing payments on behalf of a participant. Individuals still have control over who they employ and when/how the support is provided.

Can I have my plan Agency managed?

Yes, this is when a service provider takes full responsibility for hiring and paying staff and the service provider will claim directly from the NDIS. You will have a service agreement that sets out what the service will be and how it will be delivered. A service booking is then made via the NDIS provider portal by the provider of your choice.

Can I change my service provider if I am not happy?

Yes, you can change service provider according to the conditions stated in your service agreement. Check the service agreement carefully before signing it.

Can I partly self-manage?

Yes, you can choose what parts of your plan you wish to self-manage at the time of your planning meeting.

What is the NDIS portal?

The NDIS participant portal is where all your details are kept in regard to your plan and budget.

How do I access the NDIS portal?

The participant portal is accessed through your MyGov account. Which links you to the NDIS portal. You will receive an activation code from NDIS in order to login for the first time.

How do I pay my therapist and/or support workers via the portal if I am self-managing?

Once you decide how often you wish to pay your support workers you will work out the total for the period worked and claim that amount from the portal. This will be in your bank very quickly so that you can then pay your workers. The same applies when you receive an invoice. You put the dates of service in and claim back the amount of the invoice which is then transferred by you to the service provider.

What happens to my Centrelink payments e.g. Rent Allowance, Mobility Allowance, Disability Support Pension, Carers Allowance, Carers Payment?

Except for Mobility Allowance, the rest of these payments will continue unless there has been a change of circumstances that require you to report to Centrelink. Mobility Allowance will be included in your NDIS plan if you meet the NSIS criteria. There are three levels of transport.

Are medical services included in my plan?

Medical services are provided by the Department of Health to all people, regardless of disability.

What kind of assistive technology is permitted in my plan?

There can be low risk assistive technology included in your core budget. This is for low cost, low risk items that are recommended by your therapist and do not require an Assistive Technology (AT) Form to be submitted to NDIS. More costly items need to be recommended by a therapist and an AT Form will need to be submitted. These applications need to meet the “reasonable and necessary” criteria of the NDIS.

Do therapy services come under my plan?

These can be included in your plan if directly related to your disability. You are also able to arrange a care plan through your GP. The NDIS planner will discuss your individual circumstances with you. This is different to Early Intervention that is provided to young children.

Can I ask for support in the workplace to be included in my plan?

This will depend on your individual circumstances but may be included in your NDIS plan if not provided by a mainstream service. NDIS provide a transition from school to work program for young people leaving high school and School Leaver Employment Supports (SLES)

Can I ask for support for personal futures planning?

Yes, if you are at a major life transition stage such as moving out of home.

What happens if I don’t want to join NDIS?

You do not have to join the NDIS, however, you will not be eligible to access services funded by the NDIS.

Is there any funding linked to Peer Networks that I can access?

There is some funding available under the Peer to Peer Networks WA Project to assist you with support around your circumstances such as pre-planning, understanding your NDIS plan, introducing you to a Peer Network, navigating the portal and suggesting mainstream services that are able to meet your needs that are not covered by NDIS

What if I think a decision made by the NDIA is not correct?

You can submit an application for internal review of a decision. There are a number of advocacy agencies that can assist you to do this, depending on your location.

What if I am still dissatisfied after the internal review of the decision?

You can apply for a review by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT), a tribunal that sits outside the NDIA. You can only ask the AAT to review a decision by the NDIA once the decision has first been internally reviewed by the NDIA. More information is available here:

Q What is support coordination?

There are three levels of support coordination:

Level 1 – Support Connection

Level 2 – Support Coordination

Level 3 – Specialist Support Coordination

A support coordinator can assist you to negotiate with service providers, government agencies and mainstream services. A support coordinator can help you to understand your plan and the different categories of support as well as assist you to use them in the best way possible to meet your goals. A support coordinator can also provide you with information and help you to prepare for your annual review and attend with you.

Q What is a Local Area Coordinator (LAC) under the NDIS?

LAC partners are organisations external to the NDIS who will provide support to you via an LAC. An LAC will help you to understand your plan and help you choose and connect with service providers. The LAC will also be your NDIS contact person to discuss any questions you may have about your plan. The support provided by an LAC is generally at a Support Connection level. Tenders in WA closed in August and it is uncertain when this service will begin operation in WA at this stage.

NDIS Factsheets and Publications

The NDIS provides a range of useful factsheets and publications. A summary of these resources can be found here:

NDIS Factsheets and Publications

Further NDIS resources can be found below:

My NDIS Pathway

Participant Pathway Book 1

Participant Pathway Book 2

Participant Pathway Book 3

NDIS E-Glossary – Text Only

NDIS Self-Management Guide

Self Managed Supports

The Workforce Innovation through Self-Managed Supports website tells the stories of people Australia-wide who are self-managing their supports and services. It looks at the experiences of both the employer and the employee i.e. the person living with a disability and their family/carer or paid support worker.

It also shares, examples and practical information for those who are already self-managing or considering self-management of their NDIS plan.

Valued Lives was part of this collaborative project of capacity building organisations across Australia which included: JFA Purple Orange (in SA); Belonging Matters (in Victoria); Community Resources Unit (in Queensland); Valued Lives Foundation (in WA); Family Advocacy (in NSW) and Imagine More (in ACT).

Peer Support Resources

Western Australian Resources

WAIS – Western Australia Individualised Services –

Youth Disability Advocacy Network –

Syndromes Without a Name (SWAN) –

Kalparrin –

Black Swan Health Limited –

The West Australian Foundation for Deaf Children Inc –

Far North Community Services Ltd –

People With Disability WA's Peer Support Groups

People with FSHD and MD WA

Bi-monthly lunch gatherings for people with all types of Muscular Dystrophy and their families on the last Sunday of the month.
Contact Karen Schonrock
Phone: 9493 7000

First Peoples' Disability Advocacy Network WA

Blind Citizens WA

Group for people who are blind/vision impaired, run for and by blind citizens
Facebook group:
Contact Dee Ferris
Phone: 0438 687 768

NDIS Grassroots Discussion

Large (43,000 members) online national peer support group for disabled people, family members and supporters. Information sharing and support.

Facebook group:

Contact Samantha Connor


Perth Adult Autism and Aspergers Association (PAS)

Online and face to face group for adult autistics − Perth Metro.

Meets twice a month

Facebook group:

Contact Bob Johnson

Self Advocacy and Peer Support WA

Online and face to face group of people who discuss issues around disability, discrimination and self-advocacy

Facebook group:

Contact: Zel lscel

Phone: 0413 813 885

Self Advocacy WA

Face-to-face group of adult self-advocates with an intellectual disability − meets monthly at People With disabilities WA (Perth metro).

Contact: People With disabilities WA


Spinal Chatter

Facebook group and peer support for people with a spinal cord injury.

Facebook group:

Contact Karen Harvey

Phone: 9445 7 439


Women with Disabilities WA

Regular forums for women with disabilities held in the Perth metro area about topics of interest to disabled women, e-newsletter and Facebook page.

Facebook group:

Contact Wendy Wright


Phone: 0413 401 186


Youth Disability Advocacy Network

A group of young people aged 12-25 with disabilities in WA advocating for the rights and interests of all young people living with disabilities in WA.

Twitter: @YDANWA

Facebook group:

Contact Jesse or Rebecca


Carers with Disability Australia

Online FB group for disabled people who are carers for other disabled people (including people who are aged and medically unwell)

Facebook group:

WA Accessible Shooting Discussion

A group for disabled people who are interested in recreational or competition shooting. The group discusses techniques, aids and equipment, events and opportunities.

Facebook group:

Contact Clint Morgan


WA Peer Supporters' Network

CoMHWA currently hosts the WA Peer Supporters’ Network (WAPSN), a network for and by peer supporters in Western Australia bring news, professional learning, and opportunities to connect with others.

The Network offers a bi-monthly (every 2 months) newsletter and a bi-monthly network meeting.  Joining the network is free and open to peer supporters, simply email  or contact (08) 9258 8911.

Shauna Gaebler, Executive Director

Phone: (08) 9321 4994 or (08) 9258 8911


Consumers of Mental Health WA's Peer Support Groups

CoMHWA support a number of peer groups of people with mental health conditions.

For more information contact Rhianwen Beresford

Phone: 08 9258 8911